Pages

Monday 5 August 2013

Ultimate Multi-tasking


I love this New Yorker article about treadmill desks by Susan Orlean.  She writes:
"The biggest problem with working at a treadmill desk: the compulsion to announce constantly that you are working at a treadmill desk. It’s a lot like the early days of cell-phone calls, when the simple fact that you were doing what you were doing seemed so amazing that most conversations consisted largely of exclamations about the amazingness of the call."

In the spirit of compulsive exclamations, I would like to announce that I am walking bare foot today and have done the following at my desk:

1. Eaten lunch
2. Made a phone call to son 3's new school.
3. Listened to my favourite Iron and Wine Playlist on YouTube. 
4. Filled out a claim form for the Shakespeare seminar I taught 2 weeks ago.
5. Googled 'easy starters' for my daughter who can't decide what to make for her night of our family 'Come Dine with Me' competition (oh yes!).
6. Chatted on Facebook.
7. Sent several emails.
8. Chased Disney for a response to this via Twitter (amazing what a little bit of social networking exposure does - after nearly 2 weeks of silence I was contacted by 'guest communication' this afternoon). 
9. Worked on a story about a Welsh shoemaker.
10. Written this blog post.

So far today I've walked for 2 hours and 30 minutes and taken 10,000 steps, even though it's pouring with rain and blowing a gale outside. *Happy sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment