Pages

Tuesday 20 April 2010

Not so itsy-bitsy bikinis

It was good to see Primark recall their padded bikinis recently. I'm sure no-one would dream of selling padded swimming trunks to boys of seven.

Perhaps Primark (and other retailers) would like to revise some of the writing on their t-shirts for two year olds next.

Dan Garavelli writing in the Scotsman maintains that, 'Even more damaging than the sexual aspect of many fashion lines, in my opinion, is the way they are designed to limit girls' horizons; to present them as a bunch of silly bimbos. So there are T-shirts with slogans such as 'I left my brain in my locker', 'Future Footballer's Wife' or 'Catwalk Ready'.

I don’t want my little girl parading about in a bikini stuffed with padding. Equally, I don’t want her going through life with her brain stuffed with fluff.

No comments:

Post a Comment