Pages

Saturday 19 December 2009

'Home' is where the heart is


My favourite book of 2009 is Marilynne Robinson's Home. It is described in Sarah Churchwell's review as 'one of the saddest books I have ever loved.' I have to agree. Robinson's prose is so gently beautiful, so desperately sad without being sentimental. I finished the book and immediately wrapped it up and posted it to my mum in the Czech Republic. As I sent the parcel on its way, I felt as if I was sending a little piece of my heart the 900 or so miles to her apartment.

Some books change the way you think about things. Some books soften you. Some books have pages like glass and the reflection you see in them leads to an acceptance that reaches beyond fiction and into the sentences of your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment